Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Some common birds on Oahu


Sanderling - This little guy led and chased me for about 1/2 mile down the beach. When someone came from the opposite direction, he'd circle around me up on the beach and then zoom past me to keep ahead.


























Rock Dove or Domestic Pigeon - They are everywhere. This puffed up guy was chasing all the birds away from the food in the park.
















Common Myna - They have that stern eagle look. Beautiful white feathers on wings and tail display when they fly.













Zebra Dove - Beautiful friendly birds. She posed perfectly.





















Red-Crested Cardinal - They're very shy. Could never get closer than this.
A real Mr. Personality.




























Pacific Golden Plover or Kolea - They migrate to nest in Alaska during the summer and will be leaving with Ferd in May. This one kept me company for several hours.






























She was about 12 feet away and would sun bathe for a while, then jump up and scurry to the shade of the lanai where she'd preen herself until she wanted the sun again.
Then she's fluff up her feathers and settle down once more in the sun. She repeated this behavior about once every 30 minutes or so - about 6 times for me.







Cattle Egret or Buff-backed Heron - On the hedge outside our front door. He was shy and would not show off for me but contrasted nicely with the background.



















































This Cattle Egret at Kailua puffed up his head feathers as though he were showing off for the camera (or maybe for that pigeon).
It's normally mating behavior but there were no other Cattle Egrets around.
He strutted around and was so funny.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Ferd and Beth!
    My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blog posts about Kahala Beach to share on our site and I came across your unique bird watching post...We'd love to share this...it's really one of a kind! There are no other bird posts on Dwellable so far! If you're open to it, drop me a line at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you :)
    Jane

    ReplyDelete